Almond Tree Strategic Consulting
We believe that small and medium-sized charities are the glue that holds society together. Driven by values and high ideals, the sector galvanises people across society to work for the benefit of everyone.
Led by Julian Lomas and driven by our values, Almond Tree Strategic Consulting supports small and medium sized charities and social enterprises to make a difference for the communities they serve. Julian is a dynamic leader with an incisive intellect, who motivates and inspires those with whom he works.
With a proven track record of delivering high quality support, innovation and tangible value for clients, Julian has particular expertise in:
• strategy and planning;
• fundraising (strategy and bid writing); and
• collaborations, partnerships, joint ventures, shared services and mergers.
High quality relationships are at the heart of how Julian works. He is passionate about voluntary service and is an experienced Charity Trustee, School Governor and Social Enterprise Director.
We have supported hundreds of charities and social enterprises in all sectors across the UK and overseas ranging from micro-enterprises, through small community organisations to mid-sized charities.
Recent clients include:
• The Architectural Heritage Fund – governance support for grantees
• BOSP, Brighter Opportunities for Special People – strategic planning
• The British Millinery Association CIC – governance
• Chaplaincy Derbyshire – governance
• The Chronic Granulomatous Disorder Society – strategic planning, governance and fundraising
• Clarion Futures, the charitable foundation of Clarion Housing Group – supporting their small charity and social enterprise partners
• The Eikon Charity – strategic planning, governance and fundraising
• Essex Councils for Voluntary Service – joint venture/collaboration
• The Hospital Broadcasting Association – strategic planning
• The International Curators’ Forum – fundraising and governance
• The Leanne Pero Fund – fundraising
• The Movement Factory CIC – fundraising and governance
• Music for My Mind – strategic planning, fundraising and governance
• Novi Most International – strategic planning
• Pawprints Dog Rescue – governance
• The Open University Students’ Association – governance
• The Princes Countryside Fund – bid writing
• St George’s Hall Bewdley – merger
• The Strawberry Line Society – incorporation
• The Surrey Wellbeing Partnership – joint venture/collaboration
• The United Synagogue – governance
Julian has an MA and PhD in Chemistry from the University of Cambridge.
He is an Affiliated Member of The Chartered Governance Institute (holding their Certificate in Charity Law and Governance, with distinction) and a Member of the Institute of Fundraising (holding their Diploma in Fundraising Management, also with distinction).
He also holds a GDPR Foundation Qualification from the International Board for IT Governance Qualifications.
Following an 11-year senior level career in the public sector, since 2007 Julian has supported hundreds of small and medium sized charities and social enterprises to develop their plans, raise funds, improve their governance and develop effective collaborations.
Julian has helped small and larger organisations alike find clarity and focus in their strategies and plans, supporting implementation where required. This has included turning around struggling charities, helping organisations manage rapid growth, supporting start-ups and advising clients on how to navigate crises. He has helped set up over 100 new charities, supported over 30 mergers and incorporations, set up 5 charity joint ventures, conducted over 20 governance reviews and helped raise over £195m for charities and social enterprises.
Julian was also a senior level expert supporting local government capacity building through various projects in the former Yugoslavia. As a result, we bring a broad and deep understanding of the charity and social enterprise sector to all our work, helping clients identify creative solutions from other sectors that can help them thrive and make an even bigger impact for their communities.
Whenever our clients need it, we can bring in associates with a wide range of complementary skills and experience to help them in areas such as financial management, legal advice, accountancy, impact assessment, human resources, marketing and communications and much more.