Position: Change Q
I’m the founder of Change Q, a specialist strategy consultancy for charities and social enterprises. I’m passionate about helping charities to access good quality strategy know how and about creating shared understanding across organisations. Experienced and qualified in practical strategic skills, as well as the psychology of effective leadership and learning, I’ve worked in the sector for over 25 years. During that time I’ve helped staff and Board members, in a wide variety of charities, to feel comfortable being strategic in a third sector setting, so they can help their organisations to achieve more. This includes helping them to develop service strategies with greater impact, maintaining organisational relevance in a changing environment, growing and diversifying income and building happier, more cohesive teams.
Cardiff Women’s Aid, Federation of Welsh Women’s Aid, Wessex Resolution CIC, Encompass, RECOOP, Redthread, The Greenhouse, Bristol Children’s Help Society, Estuary League of Friends, WECIL, FAIRBRIDGE, Dorset Advocacy, Institute of Cancer Research, Meningitis UK, North East London Foundation NHS Trust Centre for Innovation in Self Care, North Devon Hospice, Multiple Sclerosis Society, Penny Brohn Centre, West of England MS Therapy Centre, Positive Action On Cancer, Dorothy House Hospice, KEMP Hospice, Tree Aid, Christian Aid, WellBoring, VSO, Mencap, Royal National College for the Blind, WECIL, The Brandon Trust, North East London Foundation NHS Trust Centre for Innovation in Self Care, St Loye’s Foundation, Ability Sports Association, Envolve, Secret World Wildlife Rescue, RSPCA, South London Theatre, The South West Heritage Trust, Hestercombe Gardens and Arts Centre, Museum of Somerset, The Brunel Museum, Wymering House, Reading Rep Theatre, Somerset Rural Life Museum, Weston Museum, Charities Aid Foundation, VOSCUR, Bristol City Council, Exeter NHS, Somerset Council, Weston Council, Teignbridge CVS, Jessie May, Open Up Music, Clifton High School, Child Accident Prevention Trust, Malmesbury School
• MSc in Strategy, Leadership and Change, University of Bristol (distinction)
• Level 5 ILM Certificate in Leadership
• Completed Leadership Experience with Extraordinary Leadership at Summit Schools, Kenya
• Gold Professional Fundraising Award
• Over 25 years’ experience in the sector, including 18 as consultant specialising in working with charities and social enterprises.
• 5 charity director positions including with Action for ME, TREE AID and 2 hospices
• 7 years working for a global communications agency, ultimately jointly leading the Charities Unit, raising millions for RSPCA, Christian Aid and the MS Society
• Experience of a wide range of causes, including social welfare, health, international development, education, environment, conservation, arts and heritage
• Professionally qualified in strategy with over a decade’s experience facilitating charity strategy in variety of contexts, including for collaborative partnerships, national cross-federation strategic facilitation, service diversification, award-winning programmes development and rescue strategies
• Over 20 years fundraising experience, personally delivering and leading teams to deliver challenging fundraising targets and facilitating fundraising strategy for over 50 charities and CIC teams. Results include: 400% growth over 6 years for the RPSCA’s individuals donor development programme; doubling revenue income for several charities; helping charities to reverse crisis positions; successfully leading 11 major capital appeals, including securing 7 figure grants, and helping a wide range of charities to develop branding and communication strategies
• Experienced and qualified in the psychology of effective leadership and learning. Conversant with a wide range of leadership diagnostic and development tools adapted for the sector and experienced at organisational development as an element of business planning and change management
• Experienced trainer who has delivered own programmes and trained on behalf of CAF, spoken at sector conventions and who is Mentor and Insight Lecturer for the University of Bristol’s, Department of Management
Change Q’s specialist research and evaluation support for charities is provided by some of the UK’s most experienced and talented third sector practitioners. They have led challenging projects across a wide range of causes including cross-federation membership consultation and social evaluation for children with profound disabilities.