I work alongside charities and social enterprises, enabling them to develop and improve their performance through focusing afresh on the strategies and plans necessary to fulfil their purpose. I support new volunteer-led start-ups, mature charity professional-led organisations and those using entrepreurship for the common good, working in the UK or globally.
I work with boards and leaders to review existing plans and map new directions, including helicopter view and detailed business planning for new enterprises and options for more effective use of people, funds and property. My place-based work includes projects bringing together charities and community groups with local authorities and national funders such as Sport England and The National Lottery Community Fund.
I complement my consultancy work and keep abreast of sector developments by convening two modules, on charity governance and social entrepreneurship, on the MA in Charity Management programme at St Mary’s University, Twickenham.
Key areas of work
Although varying tremendously, it can be grouped into the following areas:
Strategic Reviews and Implementation:
- Working with trustee boards and senior executives to conduct reviews of overall strategy and map re-alignments
- Reviewing specific workstreams or areas of challenge, such as staffing structure, financial planning or use of property
Income diversification and business planning:
- Financial sustainability and income diversification plans
- Producing detailed Business Plans for new ventures or areas of operation
- Ad hoc support to charities or social enterprises at concept stage of new ventures.
- Representing charity as part of a property redevelopment steering group with local authority and Sport England
- Feasibility and business planning linked to redevelopment or re-use of property for social benefit and community wealth creation
- Developing funding bids linked to place-based work.
- Review of governance arrangements and structures
- Supporting and enabling start-ups, including Charity Commission registration
- Trustee Board away days – providing strategic input/advice and facilitation.
Clients past and present include:
Angus McDonald Foundation, Baptist Union of Great Britain, Central Hall Westminster, Eco Brixs, Faithworks Furniture Project, Free@Last, Makespace Oxford CIC, National Examining Board for Dental Nurses, Orione Care, Oxford City Farm, Oxfordshire Chinese Community and Advice Centre, STE Foundation, The Black Fund, The Hill – Sports and Community Centre, The Melissa Bell Foundation, The Zena Launchpad, York Methodist Circuit.
- BSc (Hons) Management and Administrative Studies
- MA in Charity Management (with Distinction)
- Regular contributor to Charity Finance magazine and speaker at associated events
- Supporting Member of Social Enterprise UK
- Member of ROBIN – Responsible Oxfordshire Business Involvement Network
15 years at senior business planning, project management, customer-facing roles within global packaging manufacturing followed by 10 years as a senior charity executive as Head of Support Services for The Methodist Church in Britain. There I led a team of 70 with direct reports including Finance Director, HR Director, Head of Property, Head of Technology, Grants Team Leader, Director of Safeguarding, EDI Adviser, Wellbeing Adviser and Pensions Manager.
I moved into consulting work in 2018 and projects have included:
- Undertaking review of existing and formulation of new three-year strategy.
- Writing and gaining adoption of a three-year detailed Business Plan for a Community Kitchen as a new enterprise within existing charity.
- Working with trustees to review head office staffing and leading implementation of new organisational structure.
- Producing a Financial Sustainability and Fundraising Strategy for a charity needing to respond to local authority austerity cuts to its core funding.
- Supporting founders in agreeing purposes and undertaking registration of new charity, producing initial policies and procedures including advising on construction of new website to support grant application process.
- Represented charity as tenant of new build community facility, co-funded by local authority and Sport England.
- Three-year Business Plan and detailed year one implementation plan for youth charity operating a significant community asset.
- Business plan, negotiation of contracts and implementation of plans to utilise heritage properties more effectively via social entrepreneurship.