I set up Rowan Associates in 1996 to support the delivery of effective services to people and the communities they live in. My focus is on engaging stakeholders – in research, evaluation and service development.
I have particular expertise in
- Evaluation: both independent, external evaluations and working with organisations to develop self-evaluation tools that demonstrate both hard and soft outcomes. I specialise in qualitative evaluation, evidencing impact and highlighting the value of publicly funded services.
- Engagement: I work with our track record working with organisations and their stakeholders to ensure effective participation of the right people in projects, developments and partnerships.
- Heritage: Combining my experience of good practice and of community engagement, I work with organisations and partnerships to develop, review and evaluate heritage projects.
Clients include national, regional and local charities including YMCA England, Centrepoint, Oxfam GB, British Red Cross, Guinness Hermitage Housing Association, Law Centres Network, CLIC Sargent, Parkinson’s UK, South West Foundation, Somerset Community Foundation, Quartet Community Foundation, GreenSquare Group, AgeUK South West, Health Watch Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset, South Glos, Somerset, The Care Forum, Bristol Community Land Trust, OpenUp Music, The Green House (Bristol), Imayla - and others.
Heritage clients include Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust; Bristol Buildings Preservation Trust; Bristol City Council; Off the Record & Freedom Youth Bristol; Know Your Place West of England; South Gloucestershire Council; Jacobs Wells Community Hub: Washing in the Well project; Montpelier Conservation Society; Bristol Cultural Development Partnership: Homes for Heroes 100.
I have a history degree from the London School of Economics. My current passion for heritage projects builds on this background.
- Diploma in Advanced Social Research, University of the West of England
- Graduate, Bristol Common Purpose, 1994
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA)
Work in the heritage sector includes:
- Community engagement in heritage developments, informing successful Activity Plans
- Strategic development and planning for Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust
- Evaluation of large scale heritage projects including Know Your Place West of England; South Gloucestershire's project to commemorate the WW1 Centenary; Bristol Cultural Development Partnership’s Homes for Heroes 100 project.
- Developing and managing projects to engage local communities with their heritage, and Freedom Youth Bristol to celebrate 21 years of the organisation
- Member of Bristol Civic Society facilitating the installation of Blue Plaques in Bristol.
Consultancy services over the past 20+ years include:
- Working with national of national, regional and local charities to identify the factors that contribute to good practice and which enable effective service delivery and supporting small, local service providers to develop strategies that enable them to thrive in increasingly difficult times
- Research and insight consultancies, e.g. strategic assessments of local needs Community Foundations; or Health Watch Action Plans based on the identified priority health needs and local strategies
- Independent evaluations of services ranging from Oxfam GB’s Local Livelihoods project in the Russian Federation, CLIC Sargent’s social work services, Children’s Fund, Sure Start and AgeUK programmes to The Green House (Bristol)’s Restore Project
- Developing frameworks to enable small organisations to undertake self-evaluation processes, including with youth services, community centres & advice agencies.
I am also a Non-Executive Director of Suez Communities Trust, which gives me an understanding of the funder perspective in assessing grant proposal.